This self-published deck and booklet are the intellectual property of Beverly King. Please do not copy or reproduce these drawings or blog posts without permission.

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Inventory

Nest with the eggs of a wren, sparrow, and robin

The purpose of a personal inventory is to recognize how our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors are tied to our negative habits. Most of us have a tendency to blame situations or other people for our problems instead of considering any part we might have played. This assessment is not meant to shame, but to educate and illuminate. With as much honesty as possible, write down answers (column or story format) to the following questions:

Resentments

  • Who or what do I resent?
  • Why am I angry?
  • Does this affect my security, self-worth or relationships?
  • How have I responded – constructively or destructively – to this resentment?
  • Has holding on to this anger changed what happened in the past?

Fears

  • What do I fear?
  • Does this affect my security, self-worth or relationships?
  • How have I responded – constructively or destructively – to this fear?
  • What actual evidence supports this fear (in the present, not the future)?
  • Is this something that feels true but has no facts to back it up?

Relationships

  • In what relationships have I caused harm?
  • How did I cause harm? Where was I at fault (dishonest, selfish, or unkind)?
  • Did I feel frustrated or guilty as a result? How did I handle these feelings?

Looking back at what was written, reflect on these questions:

  1. Do I recognize how my emotions can sustain and exacerbate my problems?
  2. Can I identify any irrational beliefs?
  3. Am I aware of how my self-centered behavior affects my relationships?

Before fixing what you’re looking at, check what you’re looking through. 
~ Mark Nepo

For more information on inventory, see this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment